Thursday, May 26, 2011

Filda and Lucy, my dear Acholi friends and co-laborers, peek out from under portable mosquito nets.  This was their first time to stay with us in the village. On this night, I was blessed to have 4 visitors.  Lucy, Filda, and 2 ladies from Fort Portal, Western Uganda.  I really enjoyed the time and we were able to share the Word with many.   The reason for the mosquito nets, from my perspective, is not for mosquitoes, but for the rats that prowl when the candle goes out. These ladies don’t mind them … but me ... fear!  I try to convince myself that I needn’t worry, but I continually lose that battle and find myself screaming and running when I encounter one.
     During my second time staying here, I was awakened by sounds of rat feet scurrying around my head. Joyce and I share the hut and we were sleeping on floor mats with no net.  I tried to comfort myself by repeating:  “it’s ok, they can’t hurt me; it’s ok, they can’t hurt me.”  But all my self-talk had little effect, and after about 10 minutes I gathered my things and headed out to sleep in the truck. My mistake was not telling Joyce.  At around 3 am, she discovered I was missing, frightfully made her way to the men's hut, and called together a search party.  Sorry everyone!
    Now I have a net and a comfy piece of foam, so the nights pass well.  I really do love staying here -- the quiet peacefulness; the evening times around the fire, eating chapattis and laughing; the ladies; the beautiful children. Joy swells in my heart each week as I’m packing for the journey, despite the rats.
     While we had visitors, we went to minister in a nearby village.  At one place, an elderly gentleman who spoke no English came up to me with a huge smile on his face.  He shook my hand with great vigor and was saying something I couldn’t understand, creating laughter among the on-lookers.  As he sat on the ground to listen to us, he had a look of total contentment.  I inquired later to see what that was all about.  He was saying: “Now I am happy … this is my first time ever to greet a munu (a white person).”  If that's all it takes to bring a smile ... wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment