Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Nakasero Hospital, Kampala

This is my new friend Rusty, who was my roommate for two of my three stays at Kampala’s Nakasero Hospital.  She has been in the Ugandan military for the past 15 years and is now recovering from a bomb attack.

In January 2010, she was sent to fight in Somalia. Nine months later, their camp was bombed, many were killed, she was among the injured. Since that time, she has been hospitalized. Her body is covered with wounds, including her head.  Inside, she is full of shrapnel, which keeps her in constant pain. She considers herself one of the lucky ones as many died and many, also in the hospital, have lost arms and legs or are paralyzed. 

Yet, in the midst of her suffering, she was full of sympathy and compassion for me!  That is a humbling thing.  Truly, I don’t have a clue about suffering.  Though it was not fun having an NG tube in my nose or constant IV drips for the past 3 weeks, I can not call that suffering. 

I’ve never seen a loved one killed in front of me, or had my entire village burned to the ground and been forced to flee into the bush with no food or water.  I’ve never been so low that if someone didn’t help me and my family, we would surly die.  Yet, these are common trials of people in Uganda and Sudan. It’s more common than not to go without food for a day or two,  or to be accustomed and grateful for just one meal per day.

Even as I write, thousands of people are being displaced as Arabs of Northern Sudan continue their plan to destroy the blacks of the South.  Villages are being attacked and destroyed, innocent civilians are being killed, and thousands are left homeless, without food or shelter.  These people understand suffering and their strength and faith inspire  me.  Let me keep a proper perspective, let me forget about myselves and have compassion and mercy toward those who are truly suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment